Brazil, Mato Grosso State fast facts
Key cross-sectoral policies:
Produce, Conserve, and Include Strategy
Key thematic and sectoral action areas in 2018:
Renewable energy from solar and biomass
Family agriculture and rural environmental registration
Inclusive urban development planning
Collaboration with the Federal University of Mato Grosso to develop capacity for the Rural Environmental Registration programme
Mato Grosso State of Brazil celebrated joining PAGE on 10 November 2016. The Mato Grosso State government is committed to addressing its environmental challenges with the promotion of new economic activities and technologies, as well as the rehabilitation of natural resources.
PAGE is supporting the government to develop a green economy model with an emphasis on:
- the generation of green employment opportunities
- poverty eradication
Progress in 2018: A Snapshot
The Push towards Renewables
PAGE contracted the Foundation for Support and Development of the Federal University of Mato Grosso (Uniselva Foundation) to assess the technical and economic potential for the generation and use of biomass and solar energy sources in Mato Grosso.
The study aims to support the elaboration of the Strategic Plan for the Development of Renewable Energy in Mato Grosso.
On Track for Sustainable Tourism
In collaboration with SEBRAE Mato Grosso, PAGE has been supporting the elaboration of guidelines for the standardization and certification of Sustainable Tourism Products.
The study includes:
- mapping practices, initiatives and policies for sustainable tourism;
- defining strategies and actions for the Roadmap for Sustainable Tourism; and
- developing the manual and guidance for the standardization and certification of sustainable tourism products and services.
Promoting Family Agriculture
PAGE has elaborated a methodology for the implementation of the Integrated State System of Family Agriculture (SEIAF) and its subsystems, and also compiled relevant technical background material on the system.
Participative Municipal Planning
PAGE has been collaborating on the elaboration of the Methodology and Guidelines for Implementation of Participative Municipal Development Plans and helped to provide expert inputs into the formulation of the Participative Development Master Plan in 106 municipalities in Mato Grosso. The first trial will be piloted in 15 municipalities.
PAGE is also supporting the elaboration of the Management Plan for the Historical Center of Cuiabá-MT.
How does PAGE's work in Mato Grasso State, Brazil, help meet its objectives?
Outcome 1: National policymaking
PAGE is supporting the elaboration of a methodology and guidelines for the implementation of Participative Municipal Development Master Plans, which are being developed by the state of Mato Grosso in accordance with the UN-HABITAT New Urban Agenda. In 2018, PAGE has supported this work through the evaluation of existing assessments on the state of development in municipalities in Mato Grosso and has produced a report classifying 106 municipalities in terms of their urban infrastructure. Future work is envisioned to focus on green jobs and capacity building.
Outcome 2: Sectoral reform
In 2018, priority was given to the thematic areas of:
(i) Family Agriculture, where focus has been placed on:
- the development of protocols and standards for the State Integrated System of Family Agriculture.
(ii) Sustainable Tourism, where focus has been placed on:
- the preparation of guidelines for standardization and certification of sustainable tourism products;
- the elaboration and promotion of financial strategies for sustainable certification in key products.
(iii) Renewable Energy, where the focus has been placed on:
- initiating the process of adopting renewable energy policies and incorporating IGE principles;
- assessing the technical and economic potential for the generation and use of solar energy and other biomass sources in Mato Grosso;
- elaborating the Strategic Plan for the Development of Renewable Energy in Mato Grosso.
(iv) Spatial Land Use Planning, where focus has been placed on:
- supporting the Rural Environmental Registration (CAR), which will allow small farmers to access financial and technical tools and supports sustainable buildings, sustainable agriculture products and sustainable tourism products.
(vi) Urban Preservation and Management, where focus has been placed on:
- the elaboration of the Management Plan of the Historical Center of Cuiabá-MT, including provisions for the rehabilitation of buildings, trainings and evaluation of sustainable technologies and a pilot project.
Outcome 3: Strengthening capacity
Over 2018, the Federal University of Mato Grosso, under the guidance of PAGE, has been developing a training on inclusive green economy.
Also in 2018, PAGE partnered with the Austrian Energy Agency to carry out a training on waste-to-energy technologies and micro-grid technologies and design, which was attended by energy experts from the Federal University of Mato Grosso.
Outcome 4: Knowledge sharing
PAGE is supporting countries to improve their Inclusive Green Economy knowledge base by generating and sharing knowledge products such as manuals, reports, lessons learned and best practices with the aim to inform and support national policy analysis and formulation.
For knowledge sharing, PAGE organizes high level events, conferences, workshops involving current and future PAGE countries to build networks and global platforms to exchange experiences and information.
SDGs and Paris Agreement Articles
In Mato Grosso, Brazil, PAGE is contributing towards the achievement of SDGs 7, 8, 12, 13 and 17 through work to identify key IGE priorities and mobilize green economy stakeholders. PAGE is supporting the development of the State Development Plan for Smallholder Agriculture and Extraction of National Resources, providing technical into the State Plan on Renewable Energy and supporting the promotion of green jobs.